How To Get Weed in DC
Cannabis is legal in Washington DC but there’s no dispensaries like you’d find in Denver, Seattle, or Los Angeles. When the city passed Initiative 71, a rider was added to the federal spending budget that prevents the District from setting up a similar retail sales program. No worries, baby! I71 still allows adults to possess, grow, and share weed, so in the absence of licensed businesses, a private market of marijuana gifts bloomed to help you get weed in DC. Here, let me show you around!
I71 Weed-Gifting Services
Here’s the list of services that I currently recommend and promote here for high-quality gifts and dedication to customer service:
- Baked DC: Menu | Review | Website | 202-230-2463
- Street Lawyer Services: Menu | Review | 202-839-4200 | 409 H St NE Washington DC 20002
- Exotic Organics DC: Menu | Review | Website | 202-817-6725
- Peace In the Air: Menu | Review | 202-905-2330 | 2118 18th St NW Washington DC 20009
- Bagged Buds: Review | Photos | Website | 202-505-7619
- Gifted Curators DC: Menu | Review | 202-684-9915 | 2469 18th St NW Washington DC 20009
- Select Co-Op: Menu | Review | Website | 202-459-1401
- Green Kings DC: Menu | Review | Website | 202-570-4850
- Canamelo: Review | Photos | Website | 202-274-0298
- Lucky Chuckie: Menu | Review | Website | 202-424-8367
- Athena’s Gifts: Menu | Website | 202-749-0042
- Lifted Shop DC: Menu | Review | 202-332-8494 | 2622 Georgia Ave NW Washington DC 20001
- Puff Kings DC: Menu | Website | 202-792-9891
- Entourage DC: Photos | Instagram | 202-848-8781
- Heady Club DC: Menu | Review | Website | 202-460-8698
- Exotic Blooms: Menu | Review | Website | 202-317-9158
- Hidden Leaf DC: Menu | Review | Website | 202-750-3194
Five Ways to Get Weed in DC
There are five ways to get weed in DC that don’t require a medical marijuana card (if you don’t include growing it yourself). You don’t need to be a DC resident, either! Some brands may offer more than one of these options. I’ve sorted my favorite brands by type and gift availability on the Menu Directory to help you find what you’re looking for fast!
But if you’re like me and nothing but the best marijuana will do, then check out my weekly Reviews instead! Every gift featured is available at the time of posting and has personally been inspected and approved for quality by yours truly.
Storefronts are the closest you’ll get to a dispensary experience without a medical card in DC. These typically do not require an appointment, so you may encounter a line, but you’ll have time to peruse the gift display and ask questions. Often hosted inside a smoke shop or CBD store, but there are exceptions. Lifted Shop DC, for example, is located upstairs from ListenVision Studios at 2622 Georgia Ave NW (open from 12-8pm everyday!)
A Pick-Up is when you meet the brand at a private indoor location, like a hotel room, apartment, or AirBNB, and typically requires an appointment. It’s similar to a storefront otherwise, as you’ll have time to ask questions and check out their selection of cannabis gifts before choosing what you want. 1-2 hours in advance should be enough time to secure an appointment, but setting your appointment the day before is a good idea, especially if you’re tight on time. BakedDC is a popular Pick-Up brand (open from 10am-10pm everyday!)
Delivery brands send your gift to a location of your choice. In my experience, the average time is between 1 and 2 hours, so make sure you’re going to be in one place for at least two hours if you go with delivery- or set an appointment in advance the day before! Also note that they cannot deliver to federal property, like the National Mall. Exotic Blooms is a classic example of a Delivery brand (open 9am-7pm everyday! Text or call 202-317-9158 to make an appointment).
Meet-Ups are like a delivery, but the brand tells you the location, which will usually be in front of a coffee shop or restaurant. This is great for visitors unfamiliar with the city, but you could also just ask a regular Delivery brand to suggest a place to meet. I’m sure most will accommodate that sort of request. Since they’re functionally the same as Delivery, I have included them in that category. Select Co-Op primarily offers Meet-Ups.
Pop-Ups, otherwise known as Events, typically have several brands with table displays of weed gifts set up inside a bar, restaurant, or nightclub. Their frequency has waned as police have raided many such events in recent years. FYI, there’s been a Social Use Ban that went into effect, like, a month after I71 kicked off. Here’s the FAQ I wrote about what you can expect at these marijuana pop-up events.
Getting Weed in DC- Coronavirus Update!
During the ongoing pandemic, some Pick-Ups and Storefronts are offering curbside pick-up instead of letting people inside. Curbside Pick-Up is functionally the same as Meet-Ups, above.
Where Can I Smoke Weed in DC?
You’ve successfully got weed in DC, congrats! Now, where do you smoke it? Legally, you’re not allowed to smoke weed in public. The fine is pretty small ($25) so long as you’re on DC-owned land and not federal land (like the National Mall). But if you’re like me and would rather avoid any potential hassles with Johnny Law on your visit, here’s a few options to consider:
Lucky Chuckie Tours will pick you up and drive you around the Nation’s Capital while you enjoy their flower-infused treats. Book them for a romantic evening with your special someone around the National Harbor, or maybe y’all would prefer drive-thru dinosaurs instead? Get a lift from Lucky Chuckie to the Jurassic Quest Drive-Thru Dinosaur Tour on the RFK Stadium grounds! Get stoned and look at dinosaurs, man! Need I say more? RSVP now.
Visit Lifted at 2622 Georgia Ave NW and rent time in their Hot Box, a private lounge next to their in-house cafe of infused treats. No weed? No problem! Lifted’s I71 storefront is right across the hall. You can book your appointment (in 15 or 30 minute increments) in advance online if you’re on a tight schedule!
Planning a longer visit and want a place to stay where smoking weed is explicitly allowed? Go on to AirBNB, then filter by House Rules -> Smoking Allowed. You’ll find several properties from single rooms to entire houses that will welcome traveling stoners with open arms and, in some cases, fat doobies.
What is Initiative 71?
In Washington DC, thanks to Initiative 71, adults 21+ are allowed to:
- Grow up to 6 marijuana plants, only 3 of which may be mature (“flowering”) at a time
- Possess up to two ounces in public
- share up to one ounce with another adult 21+
- But you can’t sell it
- And you can’t smoke it in public, either; if you’re caught it’s a $25 fine.
- (You can actually go down to the station and get your weed back if you’re caught smoking in public with less than two ounces. Strange days, indeed.)
- This only applies on DC-owned land. Cannabis is still federally illegal and around 30% of DC is federal property, like National Parks & government buildings (map) but also federally-subsidized housing
So the way many I71 marijuana-gifting services get around the restriction on sales is to sell something else, like tee-shirts, hats, juices, digital art, lunchboxes, all kinds of stuff, then give you a bag of buds as a free thank you gift. You do not have to be a resident and you don’t need a medical card!
Still have questions? Here’s the DC Weed Delivery FAQ page.
FYI, there are few other sites out there that can help you find buds, but I can’t vouch for the reliability or quality of anyone not on this site. Should you wish to step off the Gentleman’s lighted path, you can check out 420dc.com, LeafedIn.org, WheresWeed DC, and Marijuanas.org. Be careful with anyone that asks you to pay using an app or Bitcoin or anything you can’t reverse in advance as a First Time Customer! Rip-offs are rare but it is the Wild West out there, pilgrim.
How to Get Medical Weed in DC
Want to get your hands on lab-tested products? DC’s medical marijuana program started accepting patients for any condition whatsoever thanks to emergency legislation enacted in 2015. They started accepting out-of-state medical cards in 2018. Your Gentleman, naturally, has some opinions:
Maryland’s medical program has been going strong- visit my Ultimate Guide to Marijuana in Maryland for more info! Want more info on getting your medical marijuana card in DC, Maryland, or Virginia? Why, I’ve got a page just for you, my fine friend, step right this way. More reviews? Oh, Beauregard, you flatter me! Right here under the Medical tag.
Grow Your Own Weed in DC
If you consume a lot of cannabis, growing your own is definitely a consideration. A single adult can grow up to 6 plants in Washington DC, only 3 of which can be mature at once (which I presume to mean ‘flowering’). Here’s the rules on growing your own at home. If you do choose to grow, the local head shops and hydroponic shops are a great place to find seeds, sometimes even clones. Check out DC Seed Exchange to find packs from the hottest new micro-breeders!
CBD Shipped to Your Door!
Have you heard about the benefits of a sexy little cannabinoid called CBD and want to try it out yourself? There’s brick and mortar shops opening up all over the city since the last Farm Bill legalized hemp as well as a bazillion online companies that’ll ship to you anywhere in the US.
I really like District Hemp here locally- you can find my reviews of their products here and here. They ship anywhere in the US and they’ve got store locations in DC, Leesburg, and Manassas! Here’s their website.
Get Outta Town!
The Gentleman is also an avid ganja tourist. You can find marijuana reviews here of products I picked up from a Dispensary while traveling in Denver, Seattle, Las Vegas, San Diego, Los Angeles, San Francisco, and adding more all the time, God bless America.
The #1 source for weed in DC! Discover Initiative 71 marijuana dispensaries, weed delivery services, and cannabis personally curated by GT.
Where to Buy Weed in Washington DC? (Top Dispensary Deals)
Although cannabis is still classified as a Schedule I substance by the US government — which makes it illegal on the federal level — the herb is ironically legal both for medical and recreational use in the nation’s capital.
This means that residents of the District of Columbia can both medicate with cannabis and use it for recreational purposes without having to worry about facing fines or jail time for possession and other activities linked to cannabis.
However, it can still be pretty challenging to find weed in Washington DC if you don’t know where to look for. There are currently no operational adult-use dispensaries, so the only way to buy weed locally is through a medical dispensary. But then again, you need to be a medical marijuana patient to access your weed from there.
But does that mean there are no ways to buy weed in Washington DC?
Continue reading this guide to learn about your options.
Is Weed Legal in Washington DC?
In 2014, Washington DC passed the Legalization of Possession of Minimal Amounts for Personal Use Act of 2014, better known under the name Initiative 71. This bill allows adults over age 21 to legally possess and consume up to 2 ounces of marijuana on their private property. Residents of Washington DC can also grow their own cannabis for personal use — limited to six plants, with three mature flowering plants at a time.
However, unlike most recreational cannabis bills, Initiative 71 doesn’t allow for retail sales of marijuana, so there are no operating dispensaries in the district. The act leaves a bit of a grey area for weed, though. Cannabis can be gifted or traded, so unless you’re trying to explicitly buy or sell weed, you can still get your greens in DC.
Here we summarize recreational weed laws in Washington DC:
What You Need to Know About Buying Weed in Washington DC
- You can legally possess up to 60 grams (2 oz) of dried cannabis flower
- There are no retail marijuana sales in DC; you can only grow your own weed or have it gifted to you in one form or another.
- If you want to buy weed in Washington DC from a dispensary, you need to have a medical cannabis card or a doctor’s recommendation. Then, you can buy your weed from one of the state-licensed medical dispensaries.
- You can only buy weed if you’re over age 21.
- Growing your own plants in Washington DC means you can have up to 6 plants provided that only 3 of them are flowering at a time.
Medical Marijuana Laws in Washington DC: Where to Buy Weed as a Patient
Washington DC has a very progressive medical marijuana program. Patients suffering from any debilitating condition, as recommended by a DC licensed doctor, can buy up to 2 ounces of marijuana. They can then purchase it from one of the medical dispensaries in the area. Medical dispensaries may grow up to 500 plants on-site at any one time. Dispensaries can be run by both nonprofit and for-profit organizations.
Patients who are unable to make purchases themselves can designate a caregiver to buy cannabis and medical cannabis products on their behalf. The caregiver must be registered with the Department of Health and may only serve one patient at a time.
Best Medical Marijuana Dispensaries in Washington DC
Below we share a list of best-rated medical dispensaries in Washington DC:
|National Holistic Healing Center||1718 Connecticut Ave NW|
|District Hemp Botanicals||1323 Connecticut Ave NW, Dupont Circle|
|Capital City Care||1115 U St, U Street Corridor|
|MetroXMD: Medical Marijuana Doctors DC||1411 H St NE, Washington, DC 20002|
|Herbal Alternatives||1710 Rhode Island Avenue Northwest, Washington, DC 20036|
Before You Start Looking for Weed in Washington DC…
Here are a few facts for people interested in buying weed in Washington DC. If this is your first time in the city, make sure you read them carefully:
- Washington DC has a very understanding medical marijuana program. If your doctor concludes after the consultation that you qualify for medical marijuana treatment, you can apply for a special ID card.
- Your ID will be checked before you can enter the medical dispensary.
- The fact that you can smell weed in public doesn’t mean that you can do it. In fact, cannabis consumption is limited to private properties.
- Bringing marijuana out of Washington DC is illegal, even if the neighboring state has cannabis-friendly laws. Marijuana transportation is still considered an offense on the federal level.
- If you’re a recreational consumer, you can execute your right to grow your own plants or use some alternative resources for buying weed in Washington DC.
Speaking of the last point, let’s discuss your retail options in the District of Cannabis.
Where to Buy Weed in Washington DC for Recreational Use
Buying weed in Washington DC is all about knowing who to ask and where to look. In this section, we list the most common ways of buying your herbs without having to apply for a medical cannabis card.
Order Weed Online
Online delivery is the easiest way to buy weed in Washington DC. Weed can be literally delivered to your door. Whether you’re up for cooking delicious food at home, watching Netflix, or just want to keep your purchases discreet — delivery is your best bet.
There’s a range of delivery services operating in DC; some of them offer great deals for returning customers. Most companies list their products on their website so you can check whether they carry your favorite strains and forms of weed.
Need guidance when it comes to choosing the right weed delivery service in DC? Here are the top 3 best companies based on user reviews:
- Exotic Blooms: this company offers top-notch delivery services with high-quality products, including exotic strains, pre-rolled joints, and other weed formats for curious consumers.
- Lucky Chuckie: Lucky Chuckie offers a wide range of products and premium delivery services that you can purchase to get weed gifted to you. Lucy Chuckie is open 24/7; they specialize in selling top-shelf flowers, premium edibles, and CBD products.
- Trending Leafs: if you’re looking for the largest cannabis gift selection, including a variety of products like flowers, extracts, concentrates, edibles, and vapes, Trending Leafs is the best place to visit. They’re currently the most popular online cannabis delivery service due to their 24/7 working hours and outstanding customer care.
Not a fan of buying weed online? Below we have more options to buy your weed locally in Washington DC.
Go to Cannabis Events
Cannabis culture is spreading across the world, which shouldn’t come to anyone’s surprise given its roots in every ancient civilization. Washington DC is home to many cannabis-centric activities and events that take place around the city.
From dining events like Viceland’s Bong Appetit to private parties with a variety of brands in the business, there’s always an event to participate in. To participate in such activities, you have to be over the age of 21, but you don’t need to be a DC resident or a medical cannabis patient.
Since many of these parties are held on private property, cannabis will be handed to guests as gifts or for trading purposes. Events also create great opportunities for networkers who’d like to meet people from the industry while also sampling signature products after the fact.
Going to a 420 event can be the perfect way to make new contacts and get yourself supplied with premium cannabis products.
Just Go Shopping
Sometimes, all you need to do if you want to buy weed in DC is go for regular shopping. Washington is full of shops that can give you gift cannabis upon any purchase during their regular working hours. On top of being a good idea to get a gist of the quality, you’ll receive for your free cannabis gift, buying from smoke shops gives you the opportunity to support local businesses.
Final Thoughts on Buying Weed in Washington DC
Buying weed in Washington DC requires you to stay informed and know where to look for cannabis products. Although the District of Columbia allows for both medical and recreational use of cannabis, there are no retail stores operating in the city.
If you’re not a medical marijuana patient, there are still a few options to get your hands on top-shelf cannabis — from online delivery services to 420 events and regular shopping where you can receive a cannabis gift for your purchase.
Where do you buy weed in Washington DC? Let us know in the comments!
Where to Buy Weed in Washington DC? (Top Dispensary Deals) Although cannabis is still classified as a Schedule I substance by the US government — which makes it illegal on the federal level — the