medical marijuana ptsd illinois

MCPP Veterans Requirements

Veterans receiving medical care at a U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) Facility

Veterans receiving their health care at a VA facility who wish to apply for the Medical Cannabis Patient Program (MCPP) do not need to provide a physician written certification, but must provide medical records from the VA facility for the last 12 months. IDPH will review the medical records to verify the veteran has a qualifying medical condition and has received continuous medical care at the VA facility during the previous 12 months.

IDPH requires 12 months of medical records to verify you are in ongoing treatment at a VA facility. This requirement ensures veterans receiving care at a VA facility do not need to submit a physician certification like non-veterans must do.

To obtain VA medical records electronically:

  • Go online to
  • If you cannot access your account, use VA form 10-5345 to request these records (U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, Request for and Authorization to Release Medical Records and Health Information). If you have received care for your debilitating medical condition for more than 5 years at a VA facility, you must mark “OTHER” on VA Form 10-5345 under “Information Requested” then write that you are requesting information about the treatment of your qualified condition for the most recent 12-month period. Under “PURPOSE(S) OR NEED FOR WHICH THE INFORMATION TO BE USED BY INDIVIDUAL TO WHOM INFORMATION IS TO BE RELEASED” write “Personal Medical Purposes”. Under “NAME AND ADDRESS OF ORGANIZATION, INDIVIDUAL OR TITLE OF INDIVIDUAL TO WHOM INFORMATION IS TO BE RELEASED” write your address.The records will be sent to you
  • Once you receive your official medical records, you must submit the medical records with your application. Scan your records and upload the .pdf document with your on-line application.

Veterans receiving care from health care providers outside the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs system

Veterans who are NOT receiving continuous medical care through a U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs facility must obtain a physician certification from their community physician.

Application Fees for Veterans

Veterans who have an honorable or general discharge and are eligible for VA services and benefits, are eligible for a reduced application fee for the Medical Cannabis Patient Program. The veteran must submit a copy of their DD-214 (showing dates of service and other than dishonorable) with their application. For fee information, click here.

Veterans receiving medical care at a U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) Facility Veterans receiving their health care at a VA facility who wish to apply for the Medical Cannabis Patient Program (MCPP) do not need to provide a physician written certification, but must provide medical records from the VA facility for the last 12 months. IDPH will review the medical records

Get a Medical Cannabis Card

Save up to 40% on taxes and get guaranteed access to cannabis product!

You should be able to get your Illinois medical cannabis card and purchase medical cannabis at Dispensary 33 in less than 24 hours. In order to get an Illinois medical cannabis card, you must:

    Be an Illinois resident and able to provide two proofs of residency

Get a physician’s certification

Sympathetic doctors work hard to qualify everyone who wants a card. If you need a doctor, fill out the form below. We will send you a list of doctors and information. If you already have a doctor willing to sign your certification, use this form.

  • Complete the State’s online application and have access to medical cannabis in 24 hours!
  • Questions? Check out our medical FAQ page.

    Ready to get a medical cannabis card? Fill out the form below for all the information you’ll need!

    Qualifying Conditions

    Agitation Of Alzheimer’s Disease

    Chronic Inflammatory Demyelinating Polyneuropathy

    Chronic Pain Crohn’s Disease

    CRPS (Complex Regional Pain Syndrome Type II)

    Ehlers- Danlos Syndrome (EDS)

    Fibrous Dysplasia Glaucoma

    Hepatitis C Hydrocephalus

    Irritable Bowel Syndrome

    Neuro-Behcet’s Autoimmune Disease Neuropathy

    Polycystic Kidney Disease (PKD)

    Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)

    Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy

    Residual Limb Pain

    Seizures, Including Those Characteristic Of Epilepsy

    Spinal Cord Disease

    Spinal Cord Injury

    Spinocerebellar Ataxia (SCA)

    Superior Canal Dehiscence

    Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)

    There are a number of eligible conditions diagnosed from patient-reported symptoms, rather than clinical test results. These conditions afflict many people for decades before being diagnosed. Here are some reasons why you probably qualify for medical cannabis in Illinois, even if you don’t think you do.

    Post-Concussion Syndrome

    Concussions are commonly caused by contact sports injuries, falls and car accidents. Anyone who has suffered a concussion can suffer life-long consequences, often with a delayed onset of symptoms. If you have nausea, dizziness or headaches, it is likely a doctor will diagnose you with post-concussion syndrome which will qualify you for a medical cannabis card.

    Spinal Cord Injury

    This condition applies to people with any number of back issues, including herniated discs, as well as more common conditions like bulging discs. If you suffer from regular back pain you can likely be diagnosed with spinal cord injury and qualify for an Illinois medical cannabis card.

    Severe Fibromyalgia

    Symptoms of severe fibromyalgia include fatigue, numbness, burning sensations and chronic pain, but, because there is no test for severe fibromyalgia, an understanding doctor must rely solely on your group of symptoms in order to make a diagnosis. Severe fibromyalgia can devastate quality of daily life and is recognized in Illinois as a condition that is eligible for a medical cannabis card.

    Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder

    Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) applies to any survivor of physical or psychological trauma, whether in war or at home. Symptoms of PTSD can include anxiety, flashbacks, nightmares, and uncontrollable thoughts. PTSD can be diagnosed with a single psychological evaluation, qualifying you for a medical cannabis card.

    People often ask us whether depression and anxiety qualify for medical cannabis in Illinois. Although Illinois doesn’t recognize clinical depression or anxiety disorders as eligible conditions for medical cannabis, anxiety and depression are some of the most common symptoms of PTSD. If you experience these symptoms, we encourage you to speak with a sympathetic health care professional about psychological evaluation for PTSD.


    A caregiver is someone designated by a patient to purchase cannabis either with the patient or on their behalf. Caregivers can accompany patients inside the dispensary or come alone to purchase without the patient. Regardless, caregivers have all the same privileges of purchasing and possessing cannabis that patients do in Illinois. In order to qualify, caregivers must:

    • Be an Illinois resident
    • Be at least 21 years old
    • Only serve this role for a single patient
    • Complete their own caregiver application form to be included with the patient’s Illinois medical cannabis application.

    Unique Patient Situations

    Illinois has created separate medical cannabis application processes for minors, veterans, and those who are terminally ill.


    The Parent or Guardian of a qualifying minor will have to fill out the application for minors (instructions) and caregiver application. Minors will also need to acquire a second reviewing physician’s approval in addition to the standard physician certification.

    Patients with Terminal Illness

    Anyone who has received a diagnosis of terminal illness with a prognosis of less than six months of life will have their application fee waived. The Terminal Illness Application Form must be completed and can be submitted online to the Illinois Department of Health online portal.


    If you are a veteran receiving care from a Veterans Affairs facility, you will not need a physician to sign any forms on your behalf. Go to the Release of Information office at your VA to request your medical records for the previous year as well as your complete DD-214 to certify your dates of service and condition of discharge. Include all of these documents with your Qualifying Patient application and submit by mail.

    For more information on receiving your medical records, please visit the Jesse Brown VA Medical Center website.

    Save up to 40% on taxes and get access to more products on the shelves. Learn more about getting your Illinois medical cannabis card!