CBD, hemp seed oil and hair loss
Copy article link to clipboard.
Link copied to clipboard.
- Research overview
- The studies
- What the experts say
- Bottom Line
Hair loss affects everyone in varying degrees with up to 100 strands of loss per day considered normal. Higher amounts of hair loss are not typical and may have hereditary, hormonal, or stress-related causes. Some who experience hair loss try shampoos or creams to stimulate regrowth.
CBD oil has frequently been in the press for its purported soothing effects on pain and anxiety. As with any trend, some people are making claims that can’t be supported. CBD oil for hair loss is one of them. There are some online claims that research shows CBD is great for hair loss. The problem seems to be a lack of understanding about the difference between CBD oil and hemp seed oil.
Let’s separate CBD from hemp seed oil. The former is a cannabinoid found in the trichomes of the cannabis plant. CBD can be derived from marijuana or hemp. Hemp seed oil, however, comes from the seed of the hemp plant. The amino acids and fatty acids necessary for hair growth are found in hemp seeds, not CBD oil, according to Dr. Adie Wilson-Poe, a neuroscientist at Legacy Research Institute, specializing in cannabis pharmacology.
Amino acids (dubbed the building blocks of protein) and fatty acids are essential to hair growth and can be found in abundance in hemp seeds. The same omega-3s and omega-6s that make foods like salmon and walnuts healthy options also play a role in nourishing the hair.
The following studies expand on these ideas to show how CBD oil may help slow or stop hair loss.
A 2014 study conducted at the University of Seville in Spain found that hemp seed oil contains optimal levels of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids, which can facilitate hair growth. Researchers also found other essential fatty acids in hemp seed oil, including linoleic and gamma linoleic acids. Finally, researchers noted the presence of minerals such as calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, and potassium, all of which may enrich hair health. It’s important to note that this research pertains to essential acids in the diet, not topical applications, and the study focuses on beneficial components of hemp seed oil in general, not specifically for hair loss.
There is no evidence to support that either oral or topical cannabinoids are effective for moisturizing the scalp or ameliorating hair loss. Photo by: Gina Coleman/Weedmaps
In 2018, a group of scientists examined the chemical profiles of hemp seeds in a comprehensive study published in the journal Molecules. Researchers found that hemp seeds contain many biologically active compounds that could boost hair health, including the previously identified omegas as well as a range of vitamins. Orally ingested hemp seeds may contribute to a balanced diet that is high in these beneficial fatty acids.
What the experts say
Dr. Wilson-Poe says, “There is no evidence to support that either oral or topical cannabinoids are effective for moisturizing the scalp or ameliorating hair loss.”
The Belgravia Centre in London treats individuals dealing with hair loss. According to hair experts at the center:
“. (CBD) may help to improve the condition of the hair in the same way following a balanced, healthy diet would. However, CBD oil is highly unlikely to treat a medical hair loss condition, especially if this is a genetic complaint – namely Male Pattern Baldness and Female Pattern Hair Loss, both of which cause thinning hair anywhere in the vertex area from the crown to the hairline, in those affected.”
CBD shows promise for a number of applications but treating hair loss is not one of them. Hemp seed oil can’t do all the things CBD seems to but it does provide vitamins and essential acids that support overall health, including healthy hair.
CBD, hemp seed oil and hair loss Copy article link to clipboard. Link copied to clipboard. Contents Research overview The studies What the experts say Bottom Line
Benefits of Hemp Oil for Reducing Hair Loss
Hemp (Cannabis) oil contains many natural vitamins, fatty acids and proteins that are good for your hair and skin. We have already written of the many benefits it has for facial hair, but hemp oil is a great weapon against hair loss, thinning hair, and for hair regrowth.
Losing hair can of course be caused by many different factors that include genetics, infection, illness, hormone imbalance, poor nutrition and stress. So any remedy will have to look at all of these as the possible cause.
But hemp or cannabis oil has many proven hair growing, restoring and thickening properties that make it a great product to start using right away. Here are the main reasons that it really does help those that are follically challenged:-
- Promotes Growth – Hempseed oils greatest property is the perfect ratio of essential Omega fatty acids (EFA’s) and Omega 3, 6, and 9 (GLA-gamma-linoleic acid) and ceramides which helps retain protein and moisture in the hair. These fatty acids are needed for new hair growth. Hemp seed oil can also improve blood circulation in the scalp, thereby stimulating new hair growth.
- Nourishment – Hemp oil is high in protein, vitamins and minerals too. These properties are proven to stimulate hair growth for many, moisturizing and nourishing the hair, making it stronger and grow thicker and healthier, as well as help hair loss, improve thinning hair, and increase health.
- Moisturize – The moisturizing properties in hemp seed oil can both improve the follicles and the skin which helps create a perfect environment for growing hair.
- Reduce Inflammation – It has anti-inflammatory properties which will help stop any inflammation on the scalp that can lead to hair loss.
- Elasticity improvement – Because of the lipids, present in hemp oil, the increase in elasticity, volume and shine is observed.
- Strengthens hair – Hair is mostly (90%) made of protein. Hemp Oil not only contains 25% protein but also helps create keratin needed for the initial hair strand growth.
- Preventing Breakage of hair – When hair loses moisture, it can become very dry and break more easily. Hemp Seed Oil helps maintain the natural texture of hair, preventing water loss and adding moisture to the hair and scalp. This is especially important in drier climates or weathers, where hair tends to lose moisture more quickly.
Hemp oil for hair how to use
There are a number of different ways to apply the hemp oil hair treatment:-
- You can create a hair mask and apply the oil, leaving for 30mins-2 hours before rinsing.
- Alternatively you can apply a few drops to your shampoo and/or conditioner.
- You can rub in a few drops and leave in.
We have a number of Hemp Oil hair products that include the equally impressive jojoba oil which has many hair repair properties as well..
Hemp (Cannabis) oil contains many natural vitamins, fatty acids and proteins that are good for your hair and skin. We have already written of the many benefits it has for facial hair, but hemp oil is a great weapon against hair loss, thinning hair, and for hair regrowth.Losing hair can of course be caused by many diffe